It's been awhile

HELLO, I do apologize, for it's been awhile since I have posted on the Homestay-E mag.

You had questions about feeding your International guest so i thought I would share some things about their diet...I do not make lots of side dishes with dinner... just normal meals, but I do make a lot of stir-fry's with rice.

I try to cook one ethnic meal once a week. They also like creamy pastas, so carbonara or something like that is alway a hit, they love hamburgers (typical western foods). I have found a few dishes that are acceptable for the whole family. I might just add some Korean red chilli powder to the stir-fry after serving my kids, as it gives it a bit of a kick, and they love spicy food. But overall.

I don't change how I cook, but they do tend to like the stirfry's.

If your guest needs a side dish, just put out something like kimchee, steamed rice (that stays good in the fridge for a few days) or kimchee pancakes (make a few at a time and serve them until they are gone). If they don’t eat them, then you know to stop doing it.

Breakfast - I put out two types of cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, bread or bagels, so nothing fancy. I also do pancakes sometimes as my family loves them, and so do most guests.

Lunch - I use a reusable container filled with iced tea, a sandwich or leftovers from dinner, a piece of fruit, a sweet snack (like piece of cake or they love wagon wheels) and then just a granola bar or nuts. I usually do ham or roast beef sandwiches. Instead of buying it at the deli, I cook up a roast beef (say $7 a kilo) or buy a bigger piece of ham and use my electric slicer and it works out much cheaper than buying it at the deli section of supermarket.

In my downstairs kitchen, I keep kimchee, shinramyun noodles, and leftover rice, so on the weekends they cook up lunch for themselves (or brunch seeing that they sleep in until noon!). I bake cookies, they love shortbread or coco chip, and keep them downstairs for snacks - they eat heaps the first time they find them in the house, but after moving in, but slow down real quick when they realise they are putting on weight!

My students have never left their dishes in their room, but it is part of my house rules that they don't leave food scraps in their room or room garbage, and dirty dishes can't be left on counter tops etc.

On average I think I spend about $10 a day on their food, but since I've been doing it for a while we have learned very quickly (having 3 girls at a time) where to buy things at a good price. Shinramyun noodles I only buy at Costco, never in the supermarket as they are almost twice the price, wagon wheels bulk and most things like that. Hope this info helps. Hosting International guests can be a valuable experience for both the Homestay family and the student.

When I worked as Homestay Coordinator for an International school, I felt that I really never needed to go anywhere to experience different cultures, because the world came to me.

Since I have your attention Please Read! I would like to mention that if you are an active member of Homestaycentral.com or visiting us for the first time.

Please be aware that there are scam artist out there posing as students or a student parent.

They usually email you with nice letters about their child wanting to stay at your home and send you a check over and above the amount you discussed. Then the next email is that they are telling you a sad story and their dear daughter can't come and could you please wire the money back, but keep $1000 for your troubles.

NOT! The check won't clear, even if your bank says it looks good, it's not! These types of scams count on developing a "relationship" with you by email and phone.

After a few months, they send you an overpayment in the form of a fake cheque, and ask for a "re-imbursement" by money transfer. Often the victim will wire them money before the fake cheque clears. This is how they steal your money.Never send money to anyone that you don't know.

A person making a legitimate request will understand that they have to be patient and wait for the money to clear the bank (7 days or more).

Most guests may pay you a small deposit to hold the room up front, but usually you are paid when they arrive.

There are so many wonderful Hosts and Students looking for each other. We want to support the legitimate Hosts and Students and help everyone Stay Safe and find good Homestays!

We are looking for Writers who would like to contribute to our blog. Hosts and Students are welcome to share there insight and knowledge with our readers. you can email me; email: admin@homesstay.com we loved to hear from you!

No comments: